MUSIC NETWORK ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF THE FIRST ROUND OF PERFORMANCE & TOURING AWARD 2010
22 March 2010
Music Network today (22 March) announced the results of the first round of the 2010 Performance & Touring Award. With funding from the Arts Council, the Performance and Touring Award was developed by Music Network, to assist Irish and Ireland-based musicians in realising innovative programming ideas via individual performances, concert series and/or tours. The total number of concerts funded to date under the Performance and Touring Award is two hundred and one involving artists across a range of genres, including classical, early music, contemporary classical, jazz, traditional, folk/world, rock/pop. For the first round of awards in 2010 a total of €28,000 was allocated to 5 applicants as follows:
- Aoife Flynn awarded €7,937 towards a collaborative tour titled ‘Fresh Air’ involving Adrian Crowley - Guitar, Vocals; Hulk aka Thomas Haugh (Drums, Guitar, multiple instruments); Chequerboard aka John Lambert (Guitar); Sunken Foal aka Duncan Murphy (Guitar, Keyboard, Bass); Thread Pulls - Peter Maybury (Drums); Thread Pulls - Gavin Duffy (Trumpet, Guitar, Vocals); Spilly Walker - David Kitt (Vocals, Guitar, Bass); Spilly Walker - Thomas Kitt (Keyboard, Vocals); Patrick Kelleher (Vocals, Guitar, Keyboard). The project is curated by DJ Donal Dineen. The tour will take place over 4 dates in May 2010 and will visit The Model, Sligo; Riverbank Arts Centre, Newbridge, Co. Kildare; Daghda Space, Limerick and Triskel Arts Centre, Cork.
- Allen Smith awarded €7,500 towards the ‘Dublin Jazz Orchestra goes Provincial’ big band tour. This 10-date tour will involve Ciaran Wilde - Alto Saxophone, Clarinet; Nick Roth, Alto Saxophone; Derek O'Connor - Tenor Saxophone; Alex Mathias - Tenor Saxophone; Kelan Walsh - Baritone Saxophone; Jim Clarke – Trombone; Karl Ronan – Trombone; Colm O'Hara – Trombone; Paul Frost - Bass Trombone, Vocals; Danny Healy – Trumpet; Ray Martin – Trumpet; Eamon Nolan – Trumpet; Mark Adams - Trumpet, Vocals; Phil Ware – Piano; Hugh Buckley – Guitar; Cormac O'Brien - Double Bass and Shane O'Donovan – Drums.
- Michael Coady awarded €4,920 towards a five-date tour with the Edward Simon Trio: Edward Simon – Piano; Michael Coady – Bass; and Stephen Keogh – Drums. The tour will be visiting George Bernard Shaw Theatre, Carlow; - Goethe Institute, Dublin; 2010 – Cork School of Music, Cork; - Droichead Arts Centre, Co. Louth and Garter Lane Arts Centre, Waterford on dates in April 2010.
- Alan Kelly awarded €5,576 towards a four date tour with the Alan Kelly Quartet (Alan Kelly - Piano Accordion; Tola Custy – Fiddle; Steph Geremia - Flute, Vocal and Donogh Hennessy – Guitar). The tour will be visiting St. John's Theatre & Arts Centre, Listowel, Co. Kerry; Dolan's, Limerick; Linenhall Arts Centre, Castlebar, Co. Mayo and The Seamus Ennis Centre, The Naul on dates in April 2010. The tour will include material from the Quartet’s recent album ‘After the Morning’.
- Benny McCarthy awarded €2,066.80 towards a five date tour with ‘Caladh Nua’ (Eoin O'Meachair - Banjo, Mandolin, Whistle, Backing Vocals; Lisa Butler - Lead Vocals, Fiddle; Paddy Tutty – Fiddle; Derek Morressey - Button Accordion; Colm O'Caoimh - Guitar, Lead and Backing Vocals). The tour will be visiting O’Keefe’s Music Room, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary; Colfer’s Pub, Carrick on Bannow, Co. Wexford; Seamus Ennis Centre, The Naul, Co. Dublin; The Source Arts Centre, Thurles, Co. Tipperary and St. John's Theatre & Arts Centre, Listowel, Co. Kerry on dates in April and May 2010.
The next Performance and Touring Award application deadline will be Tuesday 8th June 2010. The award is open to musicians and ensembles of all genres that are of Irish nationality or resident in the Republic of Ireland. Further information and application packs are available from Music Network Tel. 01 6719429 or www.musicnetwork.ie.
For further information, please contact: Louise Walsh, Marketing Manager, Music Network Tel (01) 671 9429/087 6490818 Email firstname.lastname@example.org