Music Network presents Chloë Hanslip and Danny Driver On tour 30 March - 8 April
24 February 2016
Music Network presents Chloë Hanslip and Danny Driver
On tour 30 March – 8 April: Two of Britain’s leading instrumentalists with a programme including Beethoven, Strauss, Prokofiev and a new work by Deirdre McKay
“Superbly accomplished performances that lend them special distinction” – Gramophone Magazine
“Beautifully and stylishly played by Chloë Hanslip. There is wit, charm and romantic flair aplenty” – The Telegraph
Romanticism lies at the heart of this Music Network tour with British uber violinist Chloë Hanslip, an exceptional artist whose sensitivity and lyricism are matched by her pyrotechnical brilliance. Partnered by Danny Driver, one of the most exciting British pianists working today and described by one critic as a ‘dream team’, the duo have garnered plaudits for their superlative performances of unfamiliar gems from the Romantic repertoire, with Hanslip’s eloquence and agility complemented by Driver’s irrepressible enthusiasm and stylish pianism. Performing repertoire by Beethoven, Strauss, Prokofiev and a new work by Deirdre McKay, the duo are on tour from 30 March – 8 April. Details at www.musicnetwork.ie.
In an age where dazzling violinists are increasingly the norm, Chloë Hanslip has left critics and audiences agog with her spontaneity, flawless technique and sheer elegance of playing. A child prodigy, Hanslip made her BBC Proms debut in 2002 and recorded her debut album for Warner Classics at just 13. Over the past decade she has made the transition to violin superstardom through a series of highly-acclaimed recordings and performances with conductors such as Sir Neville Marriner, Sir Andrew Davis, Mariss Jansons, Paavo Järvi, Charles Dutoit, Michail Jurowski and Jeffrey Tate.
Her tour partner Danny Driver, is a master recitalist regarded as one of Britain’s most versatile pianists. Winner of the BBC Radio 2 Young Musician Competition in 2001, his career has taken him to venues including the Royal Albert Hall and the Southbank Centre. He's played with the RTÉ Concert Orchestra and made a Proms appearance with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. His 2014 Handel Suites recording on Hyperion was described by Gramophone magazine as “instantly revealing Driver’s nimble finger work...with a sparkling clarity”.
The programme for this tour includes works by Beethoven, Strauss, Prokofiev and the world premiere of a Music Network commission by Deirdre McKay entitled a quarter million miles from the moon. Other recent Music Network commissions include works by Marian Ingoldsby (Never give all the heart) and Brian Irvine (A Most Peculiar Wintry Thing). In partnership with the Contemporary Music Centre under its Composers’ Voice initiative, Deirdre McKay will attend the concert in New Ross on Thursday 31 March to talk about the new work, enhancing the listening experience for audiences. Full programme details below.
As part of their tour, Chloë and Danny will host masterclasses in Cork, New Ross, Dublin and Sligo. Connecting our work in music performance to music education aims to give young musicians rich, holistic musical experiences.
Music Network’s mission is to make live music available and accessible to as many people as possible and the Spring 2016 season provides an opportunity to see some of the world’s foremost musicians throughout the country at affordable prices. Music Network tours are funded by the Arts Council and are presented in association with RTÉ lyric fm. Tickets for all regional concerts are available from individual venues around the country. Single tickets for Dublin are available from €15 and can be purchased by calling Music Network on (01) 475 0224 or booking online at www.musicnetwork.ie.
- Beethoven: Sonata No. 9 in A major, Op. 47 `Kreutzer'
- Deirdre McKay: a quarter million miles from the moon (Music Network commission)
- Prokofiev: Cinq mélodies, Op. 35b
- Strauss: Violin Sonata in E-flat Major, Op. 18
FOR LISTINGS EDITORS:
Chloë Hanslip, violin
Danny Driver, piano
On tour 30 March – 8 April:
- Wed 30 Mar: Pavilion Theatre, Dun Laoghaire (8pm, €18 / €16, 01 2312929, www.paviliontheatre.ie)
- Thurs 31 Mar: St. Mary’s Church, New Ross (8pm, €15 / €8 (Students), 051 421766) Promoted by Music for New Ross
- Fri 1 Apr: Georgian Large Room, City Hall, Waterford (8pm, €15 / €5 (Students), 051 855042 (info only, tickets on the door)) Promoted by Waterford Music
- Sat 2 Apr: Triskel Christchurch, Cork (8pm, €15 / €12, 021 4272022, www.triskelartscentre.ie)
- Sun 3 Apr: Freemasons’ Hall, Dublin 2 (8pm, €20 / €15, 01 4750224, www.musicnetwork.ie) Promoted by Music Network
- Mon 4 Apr: Warrenpoint Town Hall, Co. Down (8pm, £15 / £5 02830 828632) Promoted by Newry Chamber Music
- Wed 6 Apr: Station House Theatre, Clifden (8pm, €15 / €12, 095 21699 (info only, tickets on the door)) Promoted by Clifden Arts Society
- Thurs 7 Apr: Linenhall Arts Centre, Castlebar (8pm, €16 / €14, 094 9023733, www.thelinenhall.com)
- Fri 8 Apr: The Model, Sligo (8pm, €20 / €10 (Students), 071 9141405, www.themodel.ie) Promoted by Con Brio
Full touring information at www.musicnetwork.ie
For media queries and photographs, please contact: Louise Walsh, Communications Manager, Music Network: (01) 4750224 or email@example.com