MUSIC NETWORK ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF PERFORMANCE & TOURING AWARD FEBRUARY 2011 APPLICATION ROUND
30 March 2011
Music Network today announced the results of the first round of the Performance & Touring Award 2011. As the national music development agency, this funding scheme is part of a range of Music Network activities that aim to support musicians working at a professional level in Ireland.
With funding from the Arts Council, the Performance and Touring Award was developed in 2006 by Music Network, to assist Irish and Ireland-based musicians in realising performance opportunities.
In total, 15 applications were received in this application round, broadly definable as 8 classical/contemporary classical; 4 traditional/folk; 2 jazz; 1 world. The total amount sought by applicants was €108,738.12, with an available budget of €27,000. Given the limitation of the budget, the panel chose to allocate the available fund to a total of 5 applicants, as follows:
- Madeleine Flanagan was granted an award of €6,285 towards a 4-date tour entitled A Homage to John McCormack and Fritz Kreisler, featuring Eamonn Mulhall (tenor), Elizabeth Cooney (violin) and Cathal Breslin (piano). The tour will visit venues in Limerick, Galway, Roscommon and Dún Laoghaire in September 2011 and the programme will include songs and works by Rachmaninov, Kreisler, Verdi, Handel and Gounod, as well as traditional and old Irish airs.
- Ronan Browne (uilleann pipes, flutes, whistles) was awarded €5,727 towards a 9-date tour with Seán Tyrrell (voice, mando-cello, tenor guitar, banjo) and Kevin Glackin (fiddle) to mark the launch of the trio’s new CD. The tour visits Listowel, Galway, Bray, Castlebar, Clare, Kinvara, Milltown Malbay, Clifden and Inis Oirr during summer 2011.
- Soprano Deirdre Moynihan has been awarded €3,615 towards a 5-date tour with guitarist Alec O’Leary entitled Anda Jaleo” - Songs of the People. The tour will visit Calary, Co. Wicklow; Borris, Co. Carlow; Donnybrook, Dublin; Listowel, and Limerick during October 2011. The duo will be performing works from Spain, Argentina and England, including “Canciones Antiguas Espanolas”: a collection of 13 traditional Spanish songs compiled and arranged by poet Federico Garcia Lorca.
- Guitarist Mike Nielsen has been awarded €6,194 towards a 6-date tour with singer Ellen Demos, clarinetist Brendan Doyle and Shane O’Donovan on percussion. The quartet will be promoting their new CD, Acoustic Sound Recipes. The tour will visit Ballina, Inis Oirr, Belmullet, Kilkenny, Wexford and Carrick-on-Shannon from May to September 2011.
- Noriana Kennedy (voice, banjo, ukulele, percussive dance), was awarded €5,226 towards a 4-date tour visiting Dublin, Galway, Kinsale and Inis Oirr during May 2011. The tour marks the launch of Noriana’s new album, Eb and Flow, and features Gerry Paul (guitar, 5-string banjo), Christof Van der Ven (guitar, voice), Cleek Schrey (fiddle, Irish and oldtime, USA), Stephanie Coleman (fiddle, oldtime, USA) and Paul O’Driscoll (double bass). The tour will bring new light to old traditions of Irish and Appalachian folk music, featuring an innovative line-up of young Irish musicians together with an esteemed oldtime fiddling duo from the USA.
The final application deadline for the Performance and Touring Award will be Monday 13th June 2011. Thereafter, as all applications for touring will be centralised through the Arts Council’s Touring and Dissemination of Work Scheme, all enquiries in relation to funding for music touring will be re-directed to the Arts Council.
Please note the following schedule of forthcoming touring-related deadlines for music:
- Thursday 5th May 2011: Arts Council Touring and Dissemination of Work Scheme deadline for work taking place between 1st August 2011 and 31st June 2012
- Monday 13th June 2011: Music Network Performance and Touring Award final award deadline for work taking place between 22nd August 2011 and 31st March 2012
- October 2011: Arts Council Touring and Dissemination of Work Scheme deadline for work taking place from 1st July 2012
Information on the Arts Council’s Touring and Dissemination of Work Scheme is available at www.artscouncil.ie and more specific advice is available through the Music Team at the Arts Council. Please contact Aine Kelly or Elaine Connolly directly on 01-618-0200.
Further information on Music Network concert and funding schemes is available here.