Music Network presents Trio Mediæval and Arve Henriksen on 26th and 27th November 2016
28 October 2016
Music Network presents Trio Mediæval and Arve Henriksen in Dublin and Wexford on 26th and 27th November 2016
Cross-genre collaboration with Norwegian jazz trumpeter Arve Henriksen and Oslo’s early music ensemble Trio Mediaeval in a programme of Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish hymns, chants and folk songs.
"I don’t think I’ve ever heard such beautiful harmony singing, their tone was wonderfully pure, angelic even, inescapably Scandanavian, and totally flawless throughoutl" Cheltenham Music Festival review
"Nobody plays the trumpet quite like to plaintively expressive Norwegian Ave Henriksen" The Guardian
Music Network’s Autumn season concludes with two very special concerts that showcase the otherworldly sounds of vocal ensemble Trio Mediæval and trumpeter Arve Henriksen in Dublin and Wexford on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th November. Prepare to be bewitched by the meditative and exquisitely beautiful soundscape of this cross-genre collaboration in a programme of Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish hymns, chants and folk songs. Details at musicnetwork.ie.
With a repertoire spanning church chants, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish hymns, as well as folk songs, Trio Mediæval have collaborated with some of Norway’s leading contemporary jazz musicians, many of them ECM label mates, including saxophonist Trygve Seim, pianist Tord Gustavsen and accordionist Frode Haltli.
Henriksen first emerged as a member of Food, a quartet featuring saxophonist Iain Ballamy, drummer Thomas Stronen and bassist Mats Eilertsen. In addition to a successful solo career, he is also a member of the innovative Supersilent group alongside Storlokken and guitarist/electronic artist Helge Sten.
- Jesú, mín morgunstjarna, Tvísöngur C17, Iceland. Arr. Anna M Friman
- Anda þinn guð mér gef þú vist, Tvísöngur C17, Iceland. Arr. Anna M Friman
- Láta gjalla létt og hátt, Rimur. Trad. Iceland, arr. Trio Mediæval/Henriksen
- Eterna Christi munera, St. Sunniva hymn, Bergen, Norway C13
- Fryd dig, Du Kristi brud, Trad. Norway Arr. Linn A Fuglseth
- Interlude I, Arve Henriksen
- Nobilis humilis, St Magnus Hymn, Anon, C13/14, Orkney. Arr. Trio Mediaeval/Henriksen
- Krummí , Anna M Friman
- Ljósið kemur langt og mjótt, Trad. Iceland. Arr. Nicky Losseff
- Rís upp, drottni dýrð, Tvísöngur C17, Iceland
- Sulla lulla ,Trad. Norway. Arr. Linn A Fuglseth
- Office of St. Þhorlák: Vespers Antiphon and Psalm IV & V, Arr. Trio Mediaeval
- Om ödet skulle skicka mig , Trad. Sweden. Arr. Anna M Friman
- Du är den första , Trad. Sweden. Arr. Anna M Friman
- Rosa rorans bonitatem. St. Birgitta Hymn, N. Hermansson , C14. Vadstena, Sweden
- En liten fågel, Trad. Sweden. Arr. Anna M Friman
- O Jesu dulcissime, Tvísöngur C17, Iceland. Arr. Trio Mediaeval / Henriksen
Music Network tours are funded by the Arts Council and are presented in association with RTÉ lyric fm. Tour details at www.musicnetwork.ie.