Music Network presents world-champion fiddler, step dancer and singer April Verch on tour
26 March 2015
“A transcendent level of musicianship ... technique can be safely abandoned” – Toronto Star
“Award-winning ﬁddler, step dancing expert, and vocalist April Verch brings new meaning to the word multi-tasking…” – Fiddler Magazine
World-class fiddler, champion step dancer and captivating singer April Verch brings her foot-stomping band to Ireland on a twelve-date Music Network tour this May. Join the high-octane band with a fondness for a killer dance tune on a joyful journey through North American roots music from 6 – 15 May. Details here.
From bluegrass and old-time to western swing, The April Verch Band honours its myriad of influences including Irish, Scottish and French traditional musics. Their legendary performances are a lesson in how to win fans for life: April is a world-class fiddler, a champion Ottawa Valley step dancer, an acclaimed composer, and a singer whose voice has been hailed as “absolutely captivating” by the Toronto Star.
The band — rounded out by bassist and clawhammer banjo player Cody Walters and guitarist Hayes Griffin — is an energetic, skilful, tradition-celebrating outfit. They have established a reputation as consummate performers, winning over audiences not only with sheer virtuosity on their respective instruments, but also with charm, humour and boundless energy on stage.
Music Network’s mission is to make live music available and accessible to as many people as possible. Through our partnerships with local Music Education Partnerships, The April Verch Band will host a series of workshops for young musicians, connecting our work in music performance and music education with the aim of giving children and young people rich, holistic musical experiences.
Making live music happen across the country, Music Network provides an opportunity to see some of the world’s foremost musicians at affordable prices. Music Network tours are funded by the Arts Council and are presented in association with RTÉ lyric fm. Tickets for all regional concerts are available from individual venues around the country. Single tickets for Dublin are available from €13 and can be purchased by calling Music Network on (01) 475 0224 or booking online here.
The April Verch Band (Canada/USA)
April Verch (fiddle, vocals, step dance)
Hayes Griffin (guitar, mandolin, vocals)
Cody Walters (bass, banjo, vocals)
On tour 6 – 15 May 2015:
• Wednesday 6 May: The Dock, Carrick-on-Shannon (8:30pm, €15 / €12, 071 9650828 / thedock.ie)
• Thursday 7 May: St John’s Theatre & Arts Centre, Listowel (8pm, €12 / €10, 068 22566)
• Friday 8 May: National Opera House, Wexford (8pm, €16 / €14, 053 9122144 / nationaloperahouse.ie)
• Saturday 9 May: Triskel Christchurch, Cork (8pm, €15 / €12, 021 4272022 / triskelartscentre.ie)
• Sunday 10 May: Glebe Gardens Amphitheatre, Baltimore Fiddle Fair, Cork (3pm, €20, Tickets from fiddlefair.com) Tel 086 3753380 (info only)
• Tuesday 12 May: Station House Theatre, Clifden (8pm, €12 / €10, Tickets on the door, 095 21699 (info only) - Promoted by Clifden Arts Society
• Wednesday 13 May: The Sugar Club, Dublin 2 (8pm, €18 / €13, 01 4750224 / musicnetwork.ie) Promoted by Music Network
• Thursday 14 May: Mermaid Arts Centre, Bray (8pm, €16 / €14, 01 2724030 / mermaidartscentre.ie)
• Friday 15 May: Droichead Arts Centre, Drogheda (9pm, €16 / €14, 041 9833946 / droichead.com)
Tour continues to Northern Ireland with www.movingonmusic.co.uk
• Wednesday 20 May: Black Box, Belfast
• Thursday 21 May: Flowerfield Arts Centre, Portstewart
• Friday 22 May: Island Arts Centre, Lisburn
For more details, please see here.